Situated next to Yoyogi Park in the Tokyo ward Shibuya, the Meiji Jingu Shrine is a Shinto temple dedicated to the deified spirits of Emperor Meiji (1852-1912) and his consort, Emperor Shôken (1849-1914). Blending with the surrounding trees, the new museum by the Japanese architect Kengo Kuma exhibits art and cultural properties moved from elsewhere on the premises, such as the carriage used by Emperor Meiji on the day he signed the Japanese Constitution. The sanctuary's history is explained in several pavilions, as is that of the large woodland around, with its over 100,000 trees brought in from different parts of the archipelago when the emperor died.
To vanish in the vegetation, the building scales down by fragmenting its roof and keeping the eaves low. The wood of the trees felled during construction was used to make furniture and other elements inside.
analyzes in each issue a theme related to a city, a country, a tendency or an
architect, with articles by leading specialists complemented by commentary on works
and projects illustrated in detail. Published bilingually, with Spanish and English
texts placed side by side.
covers current topics, taking stock of recent trends in set sections: cover story,
works and projects, art and culture, books, technique and innovation. From 2013
on, monthly and bilingual, with Spanish and English texts printed side by side.
is the third member of the AV family: a bilingual publication essentially focussed
on design projects (with special attention on competitions and construction details),
heretofore only laterally dealt with in the other two magazines.